Why do Adolescents Get Summers Off of School?

An Argumentative Article

The end of the school year (2023-2024) is right around the corner, and everyone is looking forward to their Summer vacation. While the students have their own fun and things they want to do, they can see that their parents do not have time for the things they would want to do, because they have jobs and they have to attend them. Have you always wondered why you, the student, always have Summer off of school, but the parents don’t? I believe that Summer vacations give you a healthy break from school, and prepare for your future.

At least everyone in the whole school building has at least once thought that they cannot wait for summer break, or if they’re done with school, or how overworked they feel. I believe schools give students time off of school because they need rest from schoolwork. Schools do have its effects on students, especially if the school has high expectations towards the students’ efforts. This would most likely lead to not only academic pressure, or performance anxiety, but a decline in mental health, and self-esteem. This is common among any student in any school. Also, some teachers give their students more homework than they should, which also leads to a decline in mental health, and self-esteem.

Summer may be a time to chill out and take a break from school, and have fun with friends and family at the pool, or at the amusement park. However, Summer break does have its downsides; when students return to school after their break, it is likely that they may have forgotten most of, if not, everything they have learned from the last school year. With that being said, it could be hard to get back on your feet whenever you are assigned work on your first days of school. An option you could do is to study any school subject every now and then during Summer, so you can start school again with no problems.

You may have earned money from doing chores around the house in your past, such as doing the dishes, mowing the lawn, etc. Also, your parents have their jobs to attend to in order to make money to pay for everyday necessities, such as bills, insurance, food, shelter, and so much more. What do these two statements have in common? They both mention separate individuals earning money from their jobs or assignments. When you grow up, you will have so many responsibilities to take care of, whether that’s paying for bills, taxes, insurance, or food. An extra responsibility is getting married, having kids, or having pets, so you could spend money to provide for them if you decide to do any of these things. Money could also be used towards your future life, such as paying for college. So whenever Adolescents get a chance, they should get  job and start earning now, because earning every little bit of money counts.

Everyone looks forward to Summer; they look forward to having fun with friends and family, doing the things they want. But I believe Summer vacation is more than spending time with friends, family and yourself. During the Summer, students can finally take a break from all of the hard work they went through, or they could prepare for their future, like finding a job at a local gas station, saving up money, and spend it for college, and other needs. This Summer, I encourage anyone reading this to take advantage of this; get a job application, save up, and spend some time with yourself.

Works Cited

Teens in Summer Camp. (2019, July 22). Miami Teen Counseling. Retrieved April 26, 2024, from https://www.miamiteencounseling.net/teens-in-summer-camp/

The Impact of School on Mental Health: Understanding its Importance for Students and the Effects of Bullying | All Kinds of Therapy. (2023, July 24). All Kinds of Therapy. Retrieved April 26, 2024, from https://www.allkindsoftherapy.com/the-impact-of-school-on-mental-health-understanding-its-importance-for-students-and-the-effects-of-bullying

The Impact of School on Mental Health: Understanding its Importance for Students and the Effects of Bullying