What is it like to be a teacher at GWHS?

Teachers are a very vital part of GWHS staff. Our staff makes sure students get the education they need to prosper. Teachers not only instruct students on their topic of expertise but also teach students about appropriate behavior at school. Do you ever wonder what it’s like to be a teacher?What they might be thinking while working with students, or what their experience overall with the school has been?  

I was given the wonderful opportunity to interview three teachers with a few years of experience at GWHS. Ms.Bowles, Ms.Bell, and Ms.Allen. We start with our first question. 

“What is it like teaching at GWHS?”

Ms.Bowles- “Teaching at GWHS is like being trapped in the upside-down . Friends and foes are all around, and sometimes you want to give up, but then you remember that there’s good in the world, and it’s worth fighting for.”

Ms.Bell- “I love teaching out at West. The staff are wonderful and help one another and are truly great colleagues.  The students are fun, and I enjoy sharing my knowledge with them.  Art is an amazing subject and I feel inspired by my students each and every year!

Ms.Allen-”It’s very different in a good way from the previous school I taught at. I feel like I can connect with students alot better. I also see less students in a day, so connections are easier to make.”

The author with Ms. Allen. (Fox Cline)

“What is your mindset when teaching a class?” 

Ms.Bowles- “I want to provide an accepting environment where students can learn comfortably.

Ms.Allen-”I usually try to make students feel welcome, then I try to teach them whatever content I think they need, and I hope by the end of the year they feel better about themselves in English class.

Ms.Bell- “To get my students the education they need for pursuing their future careers.  I want them to learn about Art and have fun while learning,”

The author with Ms. Bell. (Fox Cline)

“What was the main reason you started teaching?”

Ms.Bowles-”A college professor thought it would be a good idea.

Ms.Allen- “I went into college not knowing what i wanted to do, and when i was in college one of my friends had a low grade in english which wouldve costed him a sports scholarship, I was really good at english so I decided to help him out. After I helped him out I thought that I might be able to do this for a living.”

Ms.Bell- “I started teaching because I wanted to be a mentor for my students.  I want to be someone they can confide in as well as go to if they have questions or need help.  I wanted to be someone that students can rely on.”

The author with Ms. Bowles. (Fox Cline)

“What does your life consist of outside of teaching?”

Ms.Bowles- “While teaching is an important part of my life, it is not my whole life. I think it is important to have a life outside of school so my husband and I spend alot of time with our family and friends, and we also like to spend time outdoors.

Ms.Allen- “I am an aunt, a sister to four brothers, a cat owner, and a gym goer. I also drink alot of coffee.”

Ms.Bell- “I have 2 children of my own and we enjoy tons of things: from drawing and painting to swimming and hiking.  We love to read.  We like to play board games, video games, and outdoor sports.  I like to work on my own Art projects, like my stained glass and paint pours. I love drawing and coloring. I also enjoy making stuff with my Cricut maker.  I enjoy cooking as well and spend a lot of time making and trying new recipes.”

Thank you to all of the teachers who participated

in interviews for this article.