Winter Sports Seniors

The Winter sports season is sadly coming to an end which means this is the last time we will see some of our athletes. After a memorable season, we talked to the seniors and here is what they had to say. 

Chase Boggs (Boys Basketball): “I am going to miss playing basketball and all the memories I have made here. After graduation, I plan on going straight into the workforce but I have always dreamed of playing college basketball. That will be a decision I will have to make with my family. My advice for the underclassmen is to cherish it while it lasts and always give 100% no matter how you feel or what the circumstances are.My favorite memory at West would be making the state tournament in 2019 with the basketball team. That was a dream come true. If there’s anything I would do differently, it would be to go back in time and stay in the gym consistently to get better every single day. Getting older you realize what you do now that makes you better, you could’ve done when you were younger.”  “I’ve failed over and over in life and that’s why I succeed. “ – Michael Jordan. 

Noah Brown (Wrestling): “I’m going to miss the competitive part of sports. I plan to attend Concord and major in biology. I have no further plans of playing sports. My advice for the underclassmen is to work hard at everything you do in life. My most memorable moment at West was breaking the single game rushing record (on our field). If I could go back, I would try harder in sports and in school.” “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” – Derek Jeter.

Alley Flack (Cheer): “I’m going to miss all of the girls I cheer with. My plans for after graduation are to go to college for cosmetology and probably continue playing softball. To the underclassmen, always do your work, try your hardest in school and never give up on your dreams. My favorite memory at West would probably be going to Charleston and cheering for our basketball team at the state tournament. If I would do anything differently, I would play more sports. Be 100% committed to anything you strive for, always do your best for your dreams.”

Evan McDade (Boys Basketball): I’m going to miss playing with robots in Ms. Leefs. I plan on attending Fairmont and playing baseball there. I recommend that the underclassmen keep up with their work and grades. My favorite memory was walking around with Sean in old basketball uniforms. You can catch a lot of flies with honey but you can catch more honeys being fly.”

Gabe Medlin (Boys Basketball): I”m honestly going to miss playing basketball and all of my underclassmen friends. After graduating, I plan on working for UPS. I would suggest that while you’re in highschool to set goals and stay focused once you complete those goals, make more. I loved seeing how excited Charmco was when the basketball team made it to states sophomore year. If I could go back, I would continue in-person school instead of staying remote because I miss my friends.” “I’m just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.” – Jango Felt.

Kaiden Pack (Boys Basketball): “I’m going to miss lunch ball and 3rd period talks with Coach Rob and Mr. Nickell. Also, my good looking woman Mrs. Howard of course. After graduation, I am continuing my education at Concord and working for a career in sports medicine. I still haven’t decided if I’m playing for Concord or not. My advice to the underclassmen is to take your dreads seriously and have fun. My favorite memory at West is probably painting the worst GW on the football field with Isaac and Vaughan. If I were to do anything differently, I would go back and take freshman year more seriously and not wish high school away because time flies. Life is like a sandwich, no matter which way you flip it, the bread comes first.”

Logan Shrewsberry (Boys Basketball): “I’m going to miss the good times with the team. I am attending BYU-Idaho to receive my bachelors degree. My advice for the underclassmen: Keep shooting the ball! Fire it up! My favorite memory at West is heading to states my sophomore year. If i were to do things differently, I would have started basketball sooner.” “If you only do what you can do, you’ll never be more than who you are now.”

Lawson Vaughan (Boys Basketball): I will miss seeing all my friends I have made over the years. But after graduation I will be attending WVU and playing recreational basketball in my free time. If i were to leave the underclassmen with anything it would be to enjoy your time, it goes by way too fast. My favorite memories at West are winning regionals my sophomore year to advance to states and winning the first playoff game in football my senior year. I would go back and devote more time to sports, I don’t feel as if I appreciated it enough. Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.” 

These seniors have all worked very hard to get where they are and to get where they’re going. We look forward to their bright futures but will miss them dearly. Good luck guys!

*We were unable to get an interview from Brandon Oscar (Basketball) and Destiny Oxendine (Cheer)*