Cavtalk

Crime & Prejudice?

Phelicity Robinson, Head Editor

Let’s be honest. We’ve all sung the CSI theme song out loud, at least once in our lives. Each time the show pops up on TV, we are immediately drawn to it. No, it’s not because of the catchy tune either. Some people are naturally drawn to these types of genres. Crime series may vary from a documentary about a serial killer or Law and Order. I am here to decipher why we are persuaded to watch the newest episode of Criminal Minds.

If you’ve ever watched any type of crime show, you will quickly find a recurring theme: murder. It may not even be gruesome or extraordinarily planned out. As long as there is a dead body, the series has already received a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Infamous killers such as Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy (The Killer Clown) and Richard Ramirez (The Nightstalker), are the stars of their own shows. Documentaries follow the path that these psychopaths explored to reach the insanity that is portrayed today. In other words, the story of a serial killer may be horrible to witness but much of the public cannot look away due to the mystery surrounding these stories. Fair warning, some are more…creative than others.

I’ve read countless articles based on the belief that viewing crime shows are considered “morally irresponsible”. It is your choice to believe this statement or not. There is one thing that is true, however, and that is the thrill you receive while watching crime t.v. People also receive a jolt of adrenaline as a reward for witnessing the terrible deeds of a serial killer. Hopefully on the screen though and not in person.

Adrenaline is a hormone that produces a powerful, stimulating and even addictive effect on the human brain. Compare this to a child riding a fast and powerful roller coaster. Now put yourself in this place, but instead, you are watching a criminal mastermind elude police officers at every turn.

All in all, humans have a natural tendency to be drawn towards danger and death. As long as we can put up our own defense mechanism against it. Or maybe you just enjoy a good drama. Crime is an interesting topic in itself. So the next time you turn on your favorite T.V crime show just remember, put yourself in the victim’s shoes. Or the murderer. Whatever floats your boat.