• Feb 24, 12:08 pmFormer Massey CEO Don Blankenship's appeal for a retrial on the Upper Big Branch case was denied.

• Feb 24, 10:35 amGo see Ms. Gilkeson to purchase prom tickets for $30.00.

• Feb 24, 10:33 amNational Honor Society paperwork due Tuesday, February 28th.

The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

Cavtalk

Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

Lady Cavs Roll Over Hounds

Emma Osborne

Valley High School traveled with their JV and varsity volleyball to GWHS to face the Cavaliers in an intense volleyball game on Tuesday, October 25th.  To start off, the Lady Cavaliers junior varsity received the first serve. The play was set up and freshman Kenley Posten spikes it to the floor, resulting in the first point of the game given to Greenbrier West. Although soon after, West would miss a ball and return it to Valley. Valley serves into the net, and sophomore Sarah Krystynak begins to serve. She would go on to serve twelve consecutive serves, including four aces. This would result in the a huge lead for Greenbrier West, giving them the win in the first set.

To start the second set, Freshman Julie Agee would serve an ace right to the center of the floor. Julie would also become the setter this set. She pulled off creative backsets to the spikers for the Cavs. She ended up setting up 14 kills. Although, this set turned out to be more difficult for the lady Cavaliers as the ball went back and forth more than the last set. After two time-outs and some amazing serves pulled by Krystynak again, the JV would end their two sets victorious, Set one 25-5 and Set two 25-9.

Brittany Bevins started the Varsity game serving, smacking two aces to the floor. Bevins served throughout the set, scoring the first four points of the big game. Once Valley received the chance to attempt a point, but senior Skyler Snuffer came in with a marvelous block. The two teams volleyed for a bit, but junior Rachel Adkins would come in with two spikes, giving West the point. Kaitlyn Mullins would then go on to serve another four points, giving the ball to Valley after the fourth. Bevins eventually returned to serve, bringing the first set to an end.

The second set was almost uneventful with multiple ball passing and returns. Lots of spikes and blocks were thrown around from the Lady Hounds. However, the Cavaliers would pull through the set to win, continuing to the final set. The third set was what brought the attention to the game, with Bevins serving in three aces and two regular serves, five points in total. Adkins would soon spike it out of bounds, giving the ball to Valley. No worries to West though, because they would get the ball back and keep it, ending the third set with serves from junior Kaitlin Mullins.

Greenbrier West would end up winning both JV and Varsity, resulting in a big celebration with cake and games after the end.

1 Comment

One Response to “Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)”

1. Gale Keener on November 4th, 2016 6:18 pm

Nice Go Cavs

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

Arts & Entertainment

Cavalier Culinary Offers Valentine’s Dinner Cooking Class

• Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

News

Giardia: After the Flood

• Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

News

The Aftershocks of the Trump Travel Ban

• Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

Arts & Entertainment

• Sports

AA/A Region 3 Championships

• Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

News

Giardia: After the Flood

• Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

Features

Monthly Job Focus: Fire Marshal

• Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

News

The Aftershocks of the Trump Travel Ban

• Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)

Features

Senior Night, Girls Basketball

• Sports

Single-A Challenge

Cavaliers v. Valley HS (Volleyball)