The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

Homecoming Week 2016

GWHS 2016 Homecoming Court Julianna Agee, Destiny Zickafoose, Makayla Lilly, Katie Helmick, Ashton McClung, Kaitlyn Kyle, Amber Clark, Jenelle Jennings, Madison Burke, Makayla Adkins, Caraline Coughlin, Elly Wickline, Cara Cruse, Mackenzie Winnings

Savannah Buckland, Staff Writer

To kick off Spirit Week, the brand-new student government, with the help of Mrs. Neal, voted on spirit day themes and the activities that followed.

On Monday, USA (“Murica”) day, students wore red, white, and blue. Many of our numbers donned jorts (jean shorts), bandannas, and American flags in the most unlikely of places.

Tuesday, teachers exchanged their slacks for sweats, and students attempted to dress business casual, but it turned out more casual than business.

img_6290

When someone asks you, “How would you describe being a Senior in one photo?” show them this picture.

img_6271

On Wednesday, color day, each grade had a specific color they had to wear in order to represent themselves in the Spirit Bowl: seniors wore black, juniors wore navy blue, sophomores wore white, and freshman wore red. This year’s Spirit Bowl went like those in Greenbrier West’s past. Everyone stampeded to the football field and sat with their classes in the bleachers. Once the games started, the students who took part in the games put their all into trying to beat the others. In the end, the seniors won, the #rigged tag increased in Instagram popularity, but each grade tried their best. Several people left the field with minor –and two pretty concerning- injuries, so there is much debate about whether or not there will be a Spirit Bowl. More information will be released on this topic soon, so remember to check in on Cavtalk regularly.

gedc5501gedc5507gedc5515spiritbowl1spiritbowl2spiritbowl3

Thursday was College Day, where everyone sported their favorite college hoodie, hat, shirt, pants, and even pins. Later that day, the juniors and seniors attended the College Fair, where they got to visit colleges and get information on what they plan to major in.

gedc5526collegeday3

collegeday4collegeday2

The final day of Spirit Week was Blue and Gold Day. Since it was game day and Homecoming, everyone was pumped for what was to come later. The hallways were a sea of our school colors, and people’s faces were turning green- literally.

At halftime of the game that evening, the senior homecoming nominees rode around the track on vehicles of their choice, while waving to the crowds. Amber Clark, JROTC staff member and marching band Drum Major, was crowned Homecoming Queen. It came as a pleasant shock to her and to the band when her name was called over the intercom. Not only was it her first time on the Homecoming Court, but it was also the third consecutive year in which a girl from the marching band won Homecoming Queen. In 2014 and 2015, trumpeter Shelly St.Clair and saxophone player Sarah Brunty, respectively, took home the crown.

homecoming1

homecoming3

The 2016 Homecoming Court (from left to right): Julianna Agee, Destiny Zickafoose, Makayla Lilly, Katie Helmick, Ashton McClung, Kaitlyn Kyle, Amber Clark, Jenelle Jennings, Madison Burke, Makayla Adkins, Caraline Coughlin, Elly Wickline, Cara Cruse, Mackenzie Winnings.

Kaitlin Kyle was crowned runner-up for queen, and she was just as shocked when her name was called.

homecoming2

Senior Kaitlin Kyle, runner-up to Homecoming Queen.

After the ceremony was over, the football game resumed, and the Summers County Bobcats tried their best to pull a fast one on the Cavaliers, but didn’t succeed. The Cavaliers managed to steal the ball and score a field goal at the last minute. The game ended with a score of 30-27, their first win of the season. To say the Cavaliers were excited is an understatement. The Cavs’ victory is considered to be the best way to wrap up a very energetic, competitive Spirit Week.

homecoming5