• Apr 24, 12:39 pmToday, April 28th, is the Greenbrier County Showcase of the Arts, at Eastern Greenbrier Middle School.

• Mar 10, 11:21 amIf you have pictures, videos, or stories that you want posted on Cavtalk, email them to [email protected]

• Feb 24, 10:35 amMasquerade Prom is THIS SATURDAY, April 29th.

The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

Cavtalk

Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

Phelicity Robinson, Web Designer

We all love Fall. From beautiful leaves to stealing candy from younger siblings. Let’s not forget the best part of all, watching horror movies! Not the typical Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street. It’s time to make a new movie tradition this year.

5) Sleepaway Camp

Sleepaway Camp’s basic elementsunknown killer systematically picks off the staff and campers.  Much has been made of it’s ending—one of the most shocking in cinema history—but Sleepaway Camp is full of surprises from top to bottom. Some of the performances are so over-the-top, they suggest the title refers to the film’s goofy aesthetic rather than its setting, but the hilariously dated early-1980’s fashions and heavy New York accents only lull viewers into a false sense of security, and make the startlingly intense violence that much more satisfying. The deaths in this film—a child molester gets boiled alive, a bully is stung to death by an entire hive of bees—are no joke.

4) The Tunnel

An investigation into a government cover-up leads to a network of abandoned train tunnels deep beneath the heart of Sydney. As a journalist and her crew hunt for the story it quickly becomes clear the story is hunting them. Brand new, released in 2016, this movie could soon become a favorite.

3): Les Salauds

This one is available on Netflix. Sit down with the friends along with a bowl of popcorn and prepare yourself for this psychological thriller. Marco returns to Paris after his brother-in-law’s suicide, where he targets the man his sister believes caused the tragedy – though he is ill-prepared for her secrets as they quickly muddy the waters.

2)The Boogey Man

Everyone fears the Boogeyman as a child. It’s the story parents tell their children to scare them senseless for giggles. This story is no laughing matter. As a young boy, Tim witnesses his father being dragged away by the Boogeyman. It haunts him into his early adulthood, even more-so when his mother passes away. He returns to his home and is forced to relive his childhood nightmare.

1): The Blair Witch Project

Paranormal Activity wasn’t the beginning of the “handheld filming” era, believe it or not. The Blair Witch introduced us to this type of movie back in 1999. Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, and Michael Williams find themselves lost deep in the woods in hopes of finding the Wiccan practitioner. As they move farther and farther away from the comforts of civilized society, the tension builds to almost unbearable levels.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies”

1. Chrissy Bowles on October 20th, 2016 9:11 pm

I can’t believe “Night of the Lepus” didn’t make this list….jk. Interesting article and awesome website!

[Reply]

2. Brendan Wagoner on December 9th, 2016 2:06 pm

Even though it’s not a movie, I would’ve added Marble Hornets to this list. And not the crappy “Marble Hornets” move Always Watches. I’m talking about the original YouTube series. And also including the totheark videos as well.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Arts & Entertainment

GWHS Talent Show

• Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

Showcase

Happening This Week

• Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

News

Greenbrier West National Honors Society Inducts 36 New Members

• Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

Opinion

Why Christians Should See Beauty and The Beast

• Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

News

Tomorrow is the Big Day!

• Arts & Entertainment

Nail Art Ideas and Life Hacks

• Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

Features

Prom Decor is Underway!

• Arts & Entertainment

GWHS Talent Show

• Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

News

Masquerade! Do you have your mask yet?

• Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies

Series

New Memes

Top 5 Low Budget Halloween Movies