The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

Cavtalk

Marching Cavaliers join the Thunder

Band Students from Marshall University, Greenbrier West, and six other high schools in West Virginia.

Tammy Logar

Tammy Logar

Kayla Starcher, Staff Writer

At the end of the second quarter, Marshall’s Thundering Herd was down by 20 points, and the Akron Zips were hopeful for their second win of the season. The crowd was roaring and the players were overheating, but none of that mattered for the 500 band members about to steal the field.

On Saturday, September 17th, the Greenbrier West Marching Cavaliers joined six other high school bands from across the state and the Marshall University Marching Thunder for a performance of epic proportions.

However, the performance did not come without its challenges. The Marching Cavaliers had a week to learn the three songs performed at the game, Can’t Stop the Feeling by Justin Timberlake, Call Me by Blondie, and Right Above It by Lil Wayne.

Not only that, the heat from the day proved to be an issue for band members, who wore their uniforms for approximately six hours in 80 degree temperatures.

“We got to Marshall, and it was really hot outside,” says Senior percussionist Dakota Sanford. “A lot of us kept passing out from the heat and we were all hungry.”

Even so, many band members felt that the game and performing with the Marching Thunder made up for the minor dehydration and exhaustion they felt. Some students, including Sanford, are considering pursuing careers in musical education and find performing with current college students to be good experience.

When asked if she plans on participating in marching band in college, Sanford replied, “I kind of want to go to be a percussion instructor on the side, and I really don’t want to give up music.”

At the end of the game, Marshall lost to Akron, 65 to 38, but the Marching Cavaliers left the field feeling victorious, and more than a little sweaty.