The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

Cavtalk

An Open Letter From a Graduating Senior

Kaley Vestal, Contributing Writer

Dear students of Greenbrier West,

As my days as a Cavalier dwindle away, I think it’s time to tell you all exactly what the seniors have been thinking. None of this should be taken personally, but you should take everything said into consideration. You will understand what I’m writing here when you are in position and your days until graduation are numbered.

To the freshman (class of 2020): You guys need to chill out. As a whole, this class has seen more drama than the seniors have had since middle school. It is expected for the freshmen to have unnecessary drama within their first few weeks, but they usually learn to go with the flow. However, your class has just not adjusted to this yet. Now that it is May, you all seem to have settled in, but why couldn’t you have done that back in, I don’t know, October? Not everything I have to say to you is bad. I honestly see potential in your class. Yet I still do not get why you are not using that to your advantage and shaping yourself to act more mature and break the freshman stereotype. You’ll understand this next year when you’re no longer freshman and a new bunch is brought in to annoy you every day.

To the sophomores (class of 2019): Last year we thought your class was the worst (behavioral wise) we’ve ever had. Well, we were proven wrong this year with the newest bunch of students. You are becoming juniors next year, and that means you are officially upperclassmen. This is not the year to fool around and flunk out of classes. Your future starts now. You should consider making up any credits you messed up this past year so you’re not “that senior” in a freshman or sophomore class. Turn your work in on time and make sure it’s completed. These deadlines that all of you seem to miss the concept of are not something a teacher is giving you to punish you. You will have them your junior and senior years as well. If you don’t meet them, your grade will be cut. Welcome to life. That’s what happens in college and the real world, so adjust now.

To the juniors (class of 2018): In a few weeks you will no longer be the juniors of Greenbrier West. You become seniors after the class of 2017 walks across that stage and receive our diplomas. It is vital that you take next year seriously. Senior year has been beyond stressful for me and you will be miserable at times. You just need to take the time to really find what it is that you love and stay happy. If you are involved in any kind of drama, let it go. Staying in that will only make your final year suck. Stop complaining about the amount of work you have to do, because I promise you no one cares. It’s high school, and you’re going to have work in class and at home. Too many of you have taken classes a year ahead, and then whined about the work. No one forced you to take it, so hush and just deal with it. Make the best of senior year. Seriously, you need to find anything and everything that makes you happy.

Greenbrier West has a lot to offer if you take advantage of it. If you want to learn to do taxes, take personal finance that Mrs. McQuain offers every other year. If you want to learn to cook -other than microwaving everything- take Culinary. If you have no idea how to build something, take carpentry. Even if you decide not to complete in a CTE, you should experience them. These classes help you grow as a student and a person. Join the band if you have a passion for music. Join theatre if you enjoying being someone you’re not. Join journalism and cover everything that happens at West, and become the voice of the students. Most of all, stop caring about what other people think. The second you quit doing something you enjoy so you are not ridiculed anymore is the moment you lose your individuality. Share your gift with the world! If it is acting, or writing, or singing, or dancing, or drawing, or sports, or even cooking, these things matter. They are part of you and you need to submerge yourself in the things you enjoy and are talented at.

Some of you may find what I’ve said offensive or even hypocritical, but they’re not. I wish someone would have pushed me to be a better person earlier on. I wish someone would have made me audition for a musical before my senior year so I wouldn’t be regretting the two others I missed out on. I wish someone would have told me that the C I received Mr. Foss’ physical science class first semester freshman year would affect my grades this close to graduation.

I wish that you all would read this and really think about what’s been said. I want to see you flourish into awesome people and students by the next time I see you. Good luck, and I can’t wait to attend everyone’s graduation over the next few years.

Sincerely,

Kaley Vestal

Class of 2017