• Apr 24, 12:39 pmToday, April 28th, is the Greenbrier County Showcase of the Arts, at Eastern Greenbrier Middle School.

• Mar 10, 11:21 amIf you have pictures, videos, or stories that you want posted on Cavtalk, email them to [email protected]

• Feb 24, 10:35 amMasquerade Prom is THIS SATURDAY, April 29th.

The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

Cavtalk

Makeup Shopping on a Budget: The Do’s and Don’ts of Makeup, Volume 1

Kaley Vestal, Contributing Writer

Recently, Jeffree Star, a YouTube beauty guru and owner of a successful makeup line, made a video comparing a $95 highlight powder to a $4 highlight powder. He found that, despite the flashy packaging of the more expensive one, it was actually less pigmented -or colored- than the cheap drugstore brand.

If a product is cheap, it does not mean it’s bad quality, as Jeffree Star’s video proved. I often forget this tip myself, and spend way more than I actually need to. I will admit that I have an outrageous makeup problem. I buy makeup from Sephora and Ulta, makeup outlets that carry high-end products and occasionally some drugstore makeup. However, when I walk into Sephora or Ulta, I am not looking to purchase lower-end makeup.  I will admit, it is easy to be blinded by the flashy packaging, the household names, and the ridiculously pigmented products. Luckily, you can sometimes find wonderful products that will not break the bank!

One of these wonderful brands is NYX Cosmetics, a professional makeup line that carries many quality products at reasonable prices. This brand is my go-to when I need a knock-off of a lipstick shade by Kat Von D, Anastasia Beverly Hills, or Urban Decay. NYX can be purchased online or in stores such as Charlotte Russe, Ulta, and even CVS Pharmacy. Their cream lipsticks are highly pigmented, but they are not long-lasting, so you have to reapply throughout the day. If you prefer the long-wear lipsticks, as I do, you can also browse through their wide selections of liquid lipsticks!

Another brand to look out for is Elf. This line can be purchased anywhere from Walmart to Ulta, and they also have an online store where you can often get amazing deals on new products! This brand carries amazingly affordable makeup and tools. If you are like me and feel like you never have enough brushes to get the job done, then this is the brand for you! I own several of their eyeshadow brushes, and a few of their face brushes, and have found that they are as good as the $35 brushes you can get from big-name brands. Like me, you would probably much rather buy a brush that is affordable, but soft and perfect at doing its job. While Sigma brushes are the most coveted, and even I really want to purchase some, they are not essential to the process of slaying your face!

Surprisingly, Maybelline is one of the best brands I have ever used. Their Fit Me foundation line is a must have! The foundations are highly pigmented, so you only need a little bit of product to cover your face, and they come in a wide variety of colors, so you will definitely find a color that will match your skin tone. They also come in two forms, one for dry skin and another for oily skin, which is convenient for all skin types. The Fit Me line also carries blushes, powder foundation and concealers. Maybelline has a lot more to offer than the few items listed here, and you should be sure to go check the products out.  

You do not have to sacrifice a lot of money to have perfect makeup. When you look hard enough, you can find products that are both good quality and cost-effective. I hope this article helps save you money while keeping your makeup on point!