• Feb 24, 12:08 pmFormer Massey CEO Don Blankenship's appeal for a retrial on the Upper Big Branch case was denied.

• Feb 24, 10:35 amGo see Ms. Gilkeson to purchase prom tickets for $30.00.

• Feb 24, 10:33 amNational Honor Society paperwork due Tuesday, February 28th.

The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

Cavtalk

Filed under Sports

Greenbrier West v. Summers County

Cavaliers Pull Past Bobcats, 66-53

West basketball has had rather big expectations this season. The Cavaliers defeated long-time rival Meadow Bridge four days prior to the Summers County match-up on Tuesday, Dec 20. As a result, West expected to roll over Summers with the momentum.

Once the tip commenced, it was all game. The game consisted of a ton of back-and-forth. This meaning that the lead changed quite often. However, West had a hot hand; senior Hunter Bevins. He exploded in the first half by nearly not missing a shot he put up.

West’s offense continued to convert in the second half. One weak spot of the team during the game would be getting on the defensive glass. West allowed Summers to get easy boards on the offensive end. Nevertheless, West continued to dominate on offense, lead by Bevins. Although West seemingly pulled away, the game was close throughout. Their were a total of 14 lead changes in the duration of the game.

Once it was all said and done, the Cavaliers prevailed, winning 66-53. West improved to 3-2 on this very young season.

Bevins finished with 28 points, and Noah Midkiff tallied 11 as well.