The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

Kayla Starcher, Staff Writer, Head Editor

There is absolutely no doubt that the 2016 election has been -and still is- the main topic of interest among most groups, including Greenbrier West’s class of 2017.

This year, Seniors who are enrolled in Mr. Yunker’s classes were tasked with signing on to a website called Schoology. By using the website’s Facebook-like forum, students had to research and discuss four topics -Campaign Issues, Vice-Presidential Candidates, Presidential Candidates, and the Gubernatorial (Governor) Election in West Virginia- and post their opinions onto the website. They were graded based on their posts and responses to their classmates’ opinions, and the depth of their ideas. This began in mid-October and ran through the week before Election Day.
As it happens when a group of highly-opinionated young men and women are asked to discuss current politics in the United States, the discussion got heated.

Topics such as immigration, abortion, separation of church and state, and the coal industry, caused students to engage in cut-throat debates, in which insults were hurled, posts were deleted, and opinions were undoubtedly shared.

Though mostly entertained by watching what went down on Schoology and how those involved reacted, students and staff are now questioning whether or not this assignment should be given in the future.

However, Mr. Yunker finds no problem in the Schoology assignment, and found it intriguing and entertaining to see what his students think about certain topics. He says that he intends to do this assignment again in the future. In fact, he plans to have the Seniors do a Schoology assignment in Spring, about Donald Trump’s first 100 days in office.

20 Comments

20 Responses to “The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle”

1. Jordan on November 14th, 2016 11:43 am

GOOD! We need more cut-throat debates.

[Reply]

2. Jordan on November 14th, 2016 12:12 pm

We need more debate(s) because I don’t know if you’ve read the threads, but they just say the same dumb down cliche “they’re both bad” It’s Donald Trumps a racist, he’s Hitler, he’s a sexist, blah blah blah & for Hillary it’s about being anti-coal;however, not her corruption.
    The scariest thing is the amount of people ( millennials ) for Bernie Sanders a borderline communist that people love because he “preaches” and promises free stuff for ALL Americans by taking from the evil 1% capitalist (the successful Americans) with MORE taxes everyone to get ‘free college’ and etc.

[Reply]

Jordan Reply:

see youre more even more libertarian than I am. The only problem with “They can do anything they want with their body” Well sure they can, but they’re trying to force legislature to force people to use “correct pronouns” well oh well that whole movement is slowly dying when Donald Trump became president.

[Reply]

Thomas Vestal Reply:

Put yourself in these people’s shoes. They want to be called this because they consider themselves AS this. (Which they are this) Also, the movement isn’t dying down. Trump won’t stop a social movement, I can guarantee that.

[Reply]

3. Thomas Vestal on November 18th, 2016 12:32 pm

Millennials like Bernie because he is authentic. The claim that he is a “borderline communist’ is absurd. He believes that everyone should be treated equally, as we should. Also, saying he promises “free stuff” is an exaggeration as well.

[Reply]

Jordan Reply:

So we’re not all treated equal in the west?
    Tons of articles showing that he loves communism: “Managua to celebrate the rise to power of the Marxist-Leninist Sandinista government.” 1985

More on his “plans”
    For starters, he proposes completely nationalizing our health care system and putting private health insurance and drug companies “out of business.” He also wants to break up “big banks” and control the energy industry, while providing “free” college tuition, a “living wage” and guaranteed homeownership and jobs through massive public works projects. Price tag: $18 trillion.

article:http://nypost.com/2016/01/16/dont-be-fooled-by-bernie-sanders-hes-a-diehard-communist/

[Reply]

Thomas Vestal Reply:

lol… You expect me to sit here and believe this? The credibility of what you just said is awful. The NY Post? What a joke.

[Reply]

Jordan Reply:

NY post is a liberal website I’m pretty sure .I just found it ironic. lol Holding people back by bringing them all down only benefits who? Me? No, the government and if you actually think there’s not one soul in our government who’s corrupt then it wouldn’t work that’s why I think he’s either delusional or a psychopath.
    Promising free entitlements and gaining absolute power.
    The more you think about it kind of sounds like the capitalism you guys describe “taking for your own greed”

Thomas Vestal Reply:

First, all of what you said that was a “teaching lesson” was an exaggeration or not true. Republicans act as if the left is all for taking all of the big business’s money. Well, in actuality that’s just crazy. Every single year these huge, corrupt businessmen and women evade paying their taxes. Have you seen our President-elect’s tax returns that were released? That is why we want these businesses to actually PAY their taxes. Second, I am too educated to say, “well if they like their job they’ll stay just because it’s fun.” You claiming that a liberal, like myself, would say something as ignorant as that shows the disrespect that you and the republicans have for the democratic party. Finally, calling socialism the same as communism is another exaggeration. Communism is much more extreme than socialism.

Thomas Vestal Reply:

Also, some policies of Bernie’s in which you stated are simply not true. If you’re trying to make it seem as if they are and that they’re bad, I need some reasoning so I can fully comprehend what you mean.

[Reply]

Jordan Reply:

The difference between the left and the right it’s like a teaching lesson.

1
    Taxing the everyone for what? medicare, food stamps, disability & etc.
    Why want to give their hard working money to someone else who doesn’t deserve it (I get some people do have issues and problems that are temporary)
    2
    I think it was as high as 50% on businesses that make 250,000 yearly and up to 70% for (multi) million dollar businesses. lol once you tax these business so much where they’re not making a profit what are they going to do?

Big business are going to move and lay off their workers and ultimately higher cheaper workers in other countries and sell products back to america for higher prices (Supply and Demand)

Small business are going to just simply shut down and they will be out of a job and no-skilled workers won’t have a place to work.
    So after you get out of college what businesses are going to be left behind to actually hire you? lol you just took all their money what money are they going to pay you?

3
    That sounds a lot like communism to me. Taking down the wealthy to be poor while making everyone else poor. So when everyone is equal what is going to be the incentive to do risky jobs, dirty jobs, or hard jobs? If surgeons get paid the same as McDonalds’ workers. What is going to be the incentive to choose the harder and intensive job(s)?

Don’t say “well if they like their job they’ll stay just because it’s fun” Any normal person would choose an easy job over over the anxiety of saving someone’s life, or hard jobs.

in conclusion Yes, Socialism never worked, never will
    Btw lol, Sweden turned away from socialism during the mid 1990s and went toward capitalism and began doing a lot being economically right now.

Jordan Reply:

I’m calling it a teaching lesson because the right has more logic than feelings.

So what happens when Bernie charged these big businesses 57% in taxes?
    what do you think would happen to theses businesses? I mean it’s lower right now? like 35% and they’re already leaving the U.S?

Jordan Reply:

I actually had another question that I don’t understand.
    What’s up with the whole pronoun thing? Like Ze, Zi, etc etc.
    I never understood that.

Thomas Vestal Reply:

If they’re the gender neutral pronouns, then that’s it. Is that what you mean?

Jordan Reply:

Gender neutral? There’s been 2 genders for 3.5 billion years.
    It’s stuff like that I don’t understand it’s like encouraging a mental disorder like transgender people i just don’t understand why would you encourage it, can you please enlighten me.

Thomas Vestal Reply:

When did I say I encouraged it? “can you please enlighten me.” I simply just said that those are what the pronouns meant.

Jordan Reply:

I was saying encouraging this movement.
    : sorry for the confusing what I was asking was why are liberals wanting “more genders” and pronouns.

Thomas Vestal Reply:

I just believe people can do what they want with themselves. We shouldn’t try and force them out of doing what they please.

Thomas Vestal Reply:

Also, what they do doesn’t affect me, you, or anyone.

4. Jordan on December 1st, 2016 1:39 pm

but to elaborate: Feelings disconnected from your body/gender is a mental disorder why are liberals encouraging it?

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

Features

Get Prom Ready!: 5 Lazy-Girl Lunch Ideas

• The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

News

An Axe and a Tacklebox: Jim Justice Inaugurated

• The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

Features

Vote for Senior Superlatives!

• The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

News

Big 16 Invitational

• The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

Features

• The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

News

• Sports

Lady Cavs v. Greater Beckley Christian

• The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

Arts & Entertainment

Makeup Shopping on a Budget: The Do’s and Don’ts of Makeup, Volume 1

• Sports

Greenbrier West v. Summers County

• The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle

Features

New Year’s Resolutions!

The Seniors’ Schoology Scuffle