• Apr 24, 12:39 pmToday, April 28th, is the Greenbrier County Showcase of the Arts, at Eastern Greenbrier Middle School.

• Mar 10, 11:21 amIf you have pictures, videos, or stories that you want posted on Cavtalk, email them to [email protected]

• Feb 24, 10:35 amMasquerade Prom is THIS SATURDAY, April 29th.

The Student News Site of Greenbrier West High School

Cavtalk

Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton

The Democratic Party has been 'Trumped' following a shocking GOP victory.

Dwayne McMillion, Staff Writer

Republicans from all across the country have won a hard-fought victory early Wednesday morning as Donald Trump defeated Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential race. This victory came as the GOP (a nickname for the Republican Party, standing for “Grand Old Party”) retained control of the House of Representatives and Senate by razor-thin margins, and achieved success in six of the twelve gubernatorial races that occurred this year.

Trump currently has 289 electoral votes while Clinton holds 218. They’re projected to have 306 and 232, respectively. Trump won in many states, including Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio, which were key swing states that former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney failed to win in the 2012 election. Trump is also projected to win in Michigan and Arizona, where results are being still being counted.

Though Hillary Clinton declined to make a concession speech early Wednesday morning, she called Trump personally to congratulate him on his victory. She gave her concession at 10:30 AM, November 9th, congratulating Trump once again on his victory, thanking her supporters, and urging Americans to give him a chance.

President Obama has invited Trump to meet with him at the White House on Thursday to discuss the transition of power that will take place in the following months. The trip will mark Trump’s first visit to the White House and his first face-to-face meeting with President Obama.

Vladimir Putin issued a congratulatory telegram for Trump on early Wednesday morning and made a televised appearance. He expressed hope that Russian-U.S. relations would improve once Trump is inaugurated on January 20, 2017.

“I congratulate the American people with their will and with their democracy and with their strength and with their courage,” Putin told The Associated Press. “So this is not only a victory for the Americans, who defended their democracy against the liberal, global elite—no, this is a victory that the American people brought to the whole world.”

A few Greenbrier West students also had several things to say about the results:

“I think the results are disgusting, dangerous, and disappointing,” Junior and Clinton supporter Thomas Vestal said. “The triple D.”

“I am very happy about it,” said Eric Crowe, sophomore and Trump supporter. “Hillary is a crooked criminal and Trump is the best!”

Whether you supported or opposed Trump throughout his campaign, this election is surely historic. Record numbers of people voted early (before Election Day), and abnormally high numbers of rural citizens came out to vote. Donald Trump will be the first person ever to enter the office of presidency without prior political, government, or military experience. Many of his opponents fear his inexperience may lead to disastrous consequences. To his supporters, however, they hold out hope that his status as an outsider may pull Washington from the talons of establishment politics.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton”

1. Brianna Jones on November 10th, 2016 11:11 am

Build the wall get on the trump train 🙂

[Reply]

Breanna Reply:

why is is always about the wall

[Reply]

Jordan Reply:

Because it would help the country. lol? and save near 20 billion dollars a year.

“The wall just got 10 feet higher!”
    -Donald Trump

[Reply]

2. Jordan on November 10th, 2016 11:50 am

Trump pulling through with all odds against him. THATA BOY! Can’t stump the TRUMP

[Reply]

3. Breanna on November 10th, 2016 2:15 pm

Neither was a good option but im glad it was trump who won

[Reply]

Jordan Reply:

Lol the people who say “neither was a good option” do not really follow politics and waste their vote on 3rd party.

[Reply]

4. Seth Mooney on November 10th, 2016 2:32 pm

The People chose Hillary but The Powers chose Trump, showing that people do not in fact choose the leader of our country.

[Reply]

Kayla Starcher Reply:

You are technically correct. However, the people choose “the powers” through our state House and Senate members. It’s not a flawless system, but it is fair, from an objective point of view.

[Reply]

Jordan Reply:

You mean all the banks, foundations, foreign donations, and media that was for trump?
    I think he spent 63% less money per electoral college, didn’t get celebrity endorsements, and she got 1/100th of bad press as much as trump. lol.

[Reply]

5. Jared Sykes on November 14th, 2016 9:46 am

GOP stands for “Grand Old Party” not “Grand Ole Party”

[Reply]

Kayla Starcher Reply:

Thank you! We will fix it!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Arts & Entertainment

GWHS Talent Show

• Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton

Showcase

Happening This Week

• Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton

News

Greenbrier West National Honors Society Inducts 36 New Members

• Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton

Opinion

Why Christians Should See Beauty and The Beast

• Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton

News

Tomorrow is the Big Day!

• Arts & Entertainment

Nail Art Ideas and Life Hacks

• Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton

Features

Prom Decor is Underway!

• Arts & Entertainment

GWHS Talent Show

• Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton

News

Masquerade! Do you have your mask yet?

• Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton

Series

New Memes

Donald Trump Defeats Hillary Clinton